I admit fussy cutting might not be for everyone, because it is time consuming and requires patience. You also need good vision so you’ll be able to see all the details of the image you want to cut. But if you do want to try it here are a few tips that will help your fussy cutting look professional.
1. Scissors: first you have to have a good pair of scissors. I’m not loyal to a specific brand but i do look for some important features in my scissors. they need to be small, very sharp, have a pointy tip and good grip. Keep a pair of scissors like that for cutting paper alone and make sure they are not used to cut any other material.
2. Pre-cut elements: when you find a paper with design elements that you want to cut, cut a bunch of them. Go through a stack of papers when you’re watching your favorite TV show and fussy cut an entire stash f items. This will be very useful when you want to create a project.
3. When you cut start with generally cutting around the image that you want just to remove it out of the paper. It’ll be much easier to fussy cut the design when it’s not a part of a larger paper.
4. Cut with the bottom part of the blade and not the tips. If you cut with the tips you’ll get a tare or a bump at the end of the cut where the blade ended. if you cut with the bottom of the blade you’ll get a nice clean cut.
5. Switch direction: When you cut don’t just cut all around the image. Start by cutting in one direction and then switch the direction of the cut the other way. This way you’ll get nice and clean joins. It also prevents from getting your scissors and paper in uncomfortable angles and bending the paper. You can also alternate the fussy cutting direction by cutting from the back of the paper or from the front.
Remember that practice makes perfect: practice, practice and then practice some more. Fussy cutting requires practice and patience to be perfect so don’t get discouraged if at first you don;t succeed. Find out what the best way is for you and keep on fussy cutting until you cut like a pro!
Join the new VIP Room where every month you’ll get new class grade video tutorials, be the first to hear about new products and get access to printables, patterns, have more chances to win fabulous giveaways and much, much more!
Don’t miss out! Keep up with all the crafty goodness by subscribing to the Einat Kessler creative newsletter
Have fun creating!
Today Einat is a versatile designer who owns her own business. She dabbles in various crafts from scrapbooking and altered art to mixed media and 3D paper crafts. She teaches online classes and design for several companies. She shares her projects and designs on her blog, FB page and very successful YouTube channel.
Join her successful VIP Room Creative Club on einatkessler.com and get new class grade video tutorials, be the first to hear about new products and get access to printables, patterns, have more chances to win fabulous giveaways and much, much more!