It’s Day 11 of National Craft Month! Today’s project is the Lucky Star Pattern by We Are Knitters. This gorgeous knit home decor would look lovely as a table centerpiece or used as a placemat. It’s super easy to make and it’s guaranteed to add a little style to your home! Don’t forget to join us on Periscope for a live-streamed craft every day this month. Plus, scroll down for info on how to win our epic craft giveaways!
Skill level: Intermediate
- 180 yards of chunky wool (we recommend wak’s ‘the wool’!)
- US 19 needles
- small knitter’s sewing needle
- tea and cookies and a friend to share them with 😉
This project is crocheted in five separate parts, which are then joined together.
To make the star you need to follow the steps five times in order to obtain 5 star points.
1. Cast on 3 stitches onto one of the wooden knitting needles
2. Knit from row 1 to 29 in Stocking Stitch. Don’t forget taking into account the following increases and decreases:
Row 1: Knit all the stitches.
Row 2 and all the even rows: Purl all the stitches.
Rows 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15: Slip 1 stitch, do an increase, knit the rest of the row until you have only one stitch onto the left needle, do an increase and knit the last stitch.
Rows 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27 and 29: slip 1 stitch, knit two stitches together and knit the rest of the row until you have only 3 stitches onto the left needle. Knit two stitches together and knit the last stitch.
Row 31: cast off the 3 remaining stitches the following way: slip a stitch as you would knit that stitch and knit the following 2 stitches. Pass the stitch you slipped before over the last 2 stitches with the help of the little sewing needle.
HOW TO END YOUR PROJECT
1. Put all the shaped points of the star on a flat surface and all on them in front of each other.
2. Take your little knitting needle and sew the 5 star points in zig-zag like shown in the scheme on the reverse.
3. To finish and sew up your star, make a knot and hide the extra yarn by putting it between the already knitted stitches with the help of the little sewing needle.
The WE ARE KNITTERS’ wool is 100% natural. Its softness is due to its origin: the Peruvian Andes. Over there, sheep live in optimal conditions, allowing the production of top quality wool. Because of this, you will end up wearing a luxurious and long-lasting garment. If you take care of it, you will probably be able to wear it your whole life.
Once you are done knitting, customize your project with pins, brooches, etc. Have fun with it! Send us your pics through Instagram using the hashtags #weareknitters & #luckystar!
FIND OUT MORE WAK DESIGNS
Find different styles and knitting levels in our online store. You will also find all the knitting supplies you may need: wool and Pima cotton yarn balls, fabric yarn and different sized knitting needles. All at weareknitters.com!
Don’t forget to check out…
Plus, click the links below for FIVE giveaways from our sponsors!