Today is Day 9 of our 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway. You can enter each day to win the prize of the day! Contest rules and how to enter are below.
It takes just a minute to enter: simply comment below answering the question of the day!
On the ninth day of our 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway, my true love gave to me…this Zipped Canvas Pouch from Monaluna!
- 1/8 yd main canvas print
- 1/8 yd coordinating canvas print
- 1/4 yd poplin/mid-weight cotton for lining
- 7″ zipper
- Coordinating thread
Cut the following:
Main canvas: cut 2- 9″x4 1/2″ rectangles
Contrast canvas: cut 2- 9″x3″ rectangles and 2- 2″ x 1″ rectangles
Lining poplin: cut 2- 9″ x 6 1/2″ rectangles
- Sew tabs on zipper. Fold the 2″x1″ rectangles in half width-wise, wrong sides together. Open, then fold in each short end toward the center fold line, wrong sides together. Fold the tabs around each end of the zipper, just outside the metal stops and carefully attach, avoiding sewing over the metal stops.
- Attach the zipper. Make a “zipper sandwich,” layering the main canvas right side up, zipper wrong side up (centered, so there is a 1/2″ on either side), followed by the lining wrong side up. (Note: if you are using a directional print, make sure the top of the design is joined at the zipper seam, otherwise the print will be upside down!) Use a zipper foot and sew only on the zipper tape between the tabs, backstitching at each end. Make sure the zipper pull is out of the way. You will need to stitch part of the seam, then move the zipper pull. Press and edge stitch the lining through the seam allowances. This will help keep the lining from getting caught in the zipper. Optional: you can topstitch the main canvas at the zipper seam through all layers as an added design detail. Repeat on the other side of the zipper tape.
- Join the coordinating canvas panels to the main panels. Place the coordinating canvas panel on top of the main panel,right sides together, and stitch with a 1/2″ seam allowance (If the print is directional, the top should be placed in this seam). Press seams toward the coordinating panel. Repeat on the other side.
- Join the sides and bottom of the pouch. Pin the canvas pieces right sides together, being careful to match up the seam line between the main/coordination canvases. Pin the lining pieces right sides together. Draw in your seam line so that you will sew all around without catching the zipper tabs. It should be about 1/2″ seam allowance, but the layers tend to shift, so it may vary. Leave the zipper halfway open, and leave a 4″ space on the lining so you can turn out the pouch.
- Clip the corners and turn the pouch right sides out. Use a point turner or dull pencil at the corners.
- Stitch the lining hole closed, either by hand or machine. Tuck the lining into the pouch, and you are finished!
Enter to Win the Monaluna Bloom Poplin Fabric Bundle
Monaluna is a small, independent organic fabric company based in Walnut Creek, CA. The company is owned and operated by Jennifer Moore and her husband David Miguelucci, with assistance and inspiration from their young daughter Anabelle.
Monaluna was started in 2010 by Jennifer, a designer and textile artist, out of a desire to bring more sustainable alternatives to the fabric marketplace. “I have always loved sewing and creating with fabric”, Jennifer says, “but as I learned about the environmental impacts of fabric production I became committed to making more environmentally-friendly options available to sewists and quilters.” The company started small, but has been growing steadily, and is now producing 4-6 new collections per year.
In order to win today’s 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway, all you need to do is leave a comment on this blog post below telling us:
IF YOU COULD SEW ANYTHING IN THE WORLD, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
This contest has ended. And the winner is:
Check out the rest of the 12 Days of Christmas giveaway series. There are still 3 chances to win!
Be sure to enter our sleigh of prizes giveaway to win each of our giveaways featured!