By Betsy Burnett of Aim Happy
Operation Christmas Child gives kids all over the world a tangible gift of love in the form of a shoebox stuffed with essentials and comforts.
With my family I have always found my boys harder to shop for than my girls. The same is true for my shoebox gift packing. While I always have tons of ideas of things I could make or buy for girls shoebox gifts, boys were more difficult, and then I saw a simple top made from a wooden wheel. I knew this would be a perfect toy for either gender! It’s fun to see a child’s face light up when they finally perfect spinning a top.
DIY Spinning Top
- Wood wheel
- Dowel that fits snugly into center of wheel
- Wood Glue
- Pencil Sharpener
- Sand paper
- Paint and brushes-I used Apple Barrel Multi Surface by Plaid in Wild Grape, Primary Blue, True Green and Candy Apple
- Cut dowel rods to create handles, for ease of spinning I found cutting length no longer than diameter of the wheel worked well
- Using pencil sharpener “sharpen” one side of the dowel rod. Sand down the point to keep it from being “too sharp”
- Paint pieces as desired
- Insert dowel into middle of the wheel, adjust dowel to have a 1/3-2/3 ratio above and below the top.
- Glue into place
How to Get Involved
Readers can check out the Operation Christmas Child website. There they will find shoebox stories, information on how to pack a shoebox gift, find the nearest drop-off location, have free resources sent to them and more! Friend Operation Christmas Child on Facebook.
- 35+ St. Patrick’s Day Crafts To Make You Feel Irish - March 11, 2019
- 17 Spring Jewelry Designs that are Giving Us Life - March 9, 2019
- Bundle Up: 25 Winter Accessories to Keep You Warm - January 21, 2019