By Betsy Burnett of Aim Happy
Each year volunteers pack millions of gift-filled shoeboxes for children in need. These shoebox gifts are sent to children all over the world through Operation Christmas Child. Shoebox gifts are filled with; school supplies, personal care items, clothing, small toys and more. As a crafter, there are so many things you can make to personalize your shoebox gift. I believe when you create you share a part of yourself, a part of your heart. Who better to share your heart with than a child in need?
Operation Christmas Child’s National Collection Week is just 1 month away but there is still time to create something to put into your shoebox gift. Toys and games are always a highlight with any child’s gift. These paper mache’ flower pot games are fun for 1 of for 2.
Supplies for Both Games:
- 3- 3inch paper maché Darice
- Assorted paint colors-turquoise, classic blue, electric lime, ranchero, and bright red used
- Mod Melter by Plaid Crafts
- sanding sponge
- 2-golf plastic balls (the ones with the holes)
Supplies for Ball Catch:
- 1-26” piece of narrow ribbon
- 1-large eyed darning needle
- 2 beads (large enough they will not go through the holes in the ball)
- 1-3/8” dowel rod (cut into a 6” segment)
- 2-3/8” washers
- 1 3/4” wood bead with large hole (big enough to fit the dowel rod)
- Drill and drilling bit
Supplies for Tossing Game:
- 1 paint stirrer or flat craft stick at least 1” wide. Cut into 2-6” pieces
- Lightly sand dowel rod, craft stick pieces, and flower pots- if needed (some came with a bit of a “shiny coat” I gave the pots a once over to make sure the paint would adhere.)
- Paint the flower pots, Craft stick pieces, and dowel rod, allow to dry.
Ball Catch Directions
- Drill a hole to fit the dowel rod in the base of the flower pot. This can be done with a craft knife as well, but I found a drill made for a cleaner hole.
- Take one end of the ribbon and tie a double knot about 5” from the end. Thread one bead onto the ribbon resting against the knot, thread ribbon through middle holes of the practice golf ball, add another bead, and make a 2nd double knot to secure in place. Trim the end and add a dab of glue to secure if desired. (See photo)
- From under the flower pot, insert about 1” of the opposite end of the ribbon into the hole drilled glue inside the flower pot.
- Glue wood bead to the end of the dowel rod, thread a washer onto dowel rod. Put a bead of Mod melt glue around the drilled hole inside the flower pot. Immediately insert dowel rod threading through the hole until the washer and bead rest on the inside bottom of the flower pot. Allow glue to cool. (see photo) This forms a handle.
- From the bottom of the handle thread the other washer onto the dowel rod and glue to the base of the flower pot. (The washers give the paper maché some extra support and protection from repeated use.)
To play: See if you can catch the ball in the cup.
For Toss Across Game:
- Using mod melter glue one flower pot to the end of each stick.
To play: Grab a friend and play catch.
How to Get Involved
Readers can check out the Operation Christmas Child website. There they will find shoebox stories, information on how to pack a shoebox gift, find the nearest drop-off location, have free resources sent to them and more! Friend Operation Christmas Child on Facebook.
Plus: A Grand Prize Giveaway from Plaid!
We’re giving away over a Mod Podge goodie bag from Plaid! (Thanks, Plaid.) Enter the giveaway today!
- A Night of Networking Fun at Creativation 2018 - February 6, 2018
- On Your Mark, Get Set, GO: How to Make a Scarf in 1 Night - January 5, 2018
- A Winter’s Tail: 23 Woodland Critter Crafts - December 15, 2017