Today is Day 1 of our 12 Days of Christmas in July Giveaway. You can enter each day to win the prize of the day! Contest rules and how to enter are below.
It takes just a minute to enter: simply comment below answering the question of the day!
On the first day of our 12 Days of Christmas in July Giveaway, my true love gave to me…this Rit Dyed Beach Coverup Tutorial from Rit Dye Studio!
- Rit Dye, color of your choice
- Rit Dye Fixative, optional
- 100% cotton oversize men’s t-shirt
- Fabric scissors
- Rubber bands
- Stove pot
- Metal tongs
- Paper towels
- Rubber gloves
1. Prepare your dye bath. In a large stainless steel soup pot, fill 2/3rds full with water and heat on the stove top.
2. To make the indigo color, we used one bottle of Rit Dye Evening Blue and ½ bottle Rit Dye Navy. You can also try another variation using one bottle Rit Dye Denim Blue and ½ bottle Rit Dye Black. Or use any dye color or combination you like! Pour dye into the pot and stir.
3. Accordion fold (like folding paper into a fan) the t-shirt lengthwise and then put rubber bands up and down the length of the t-shirt at even intervals. Wet banded shirt in the sink and put in the dye bath for 10 minutes.
4. After removing your t-shirt from the dye bath, put it in plastic container and coat liberally with Rit Dye Fixative and let set for 20 minutes. This helps to set the color and reduce bleeding.
5. Rinse until the water runs clear. Remove the rubber bands. Rinse again until water runs clear. Hand wash with liquid soap, rinse and let dry. You can air dry or dry in the dryer with an old towel.
6. Now to cut into a cool cover-up! Fold shirt in half lengthwise.
7. Cut along the inner seam of the sleeves—cutting both at the same time so you have the same cut line on both sides. Inside, as you get closer to the neck, give it a tank cut line. Keep the sleeves for step 9.
8. Then cut the neckline. Cut the front slightly lower than the ribbed collar and just along the seam in the back.
9. To make the ribbons to tie up the shoulders, cut the seams off the edges of the sleeves you cut off in step 7. Then cut a 2″ wide section from the armpit side. Do this on each arm sleeve.
10. Clip the seam out of the armpit side of the section you just cut off to turn it into a ribbon.
11. Place the ribbon through the shoulder section and tie into a bow. Repeat for the other shoulder.
12. Make the fringe on the bottom of the t-shirt as long as you like by cutting up in straight lines from the bottom seam of the shirt. Our fringe is roughly 3″ long. You can cut both the front and back at the same time if you like.
13. And Voila! You have a one-of-a-kind Rit Dyed Beach Cover Up!
For nearly a century, Rit has been the go-to dye for any and all of your projects. With seven different colors of ColorPerfect dye, one ColorStay pre-mixed dye, one Dye Perfection Kit, a t-shirt to start your projects with, an apron, and a bag to hold it all, you will be set for any upcoming dye projects you have.
In order to win today’s 12 Days of Christmas in July Giveaway, all you need to do is leave a comment on this blog post below telling us:
What are your favorite colors to tie dye with?
OFFICIAL RULES FOR DAILY CONTEST:
- There is a maximum of one entry per person. The entry will be based upon a comment left on this blog post. Duplicate comments will be deleted and are not tallied.
- Winner will be selected at random from the comments on this blog post.
- Winner will be announced here on the blog July 15, 2015 as well as contacted by the email address provided.
- You have until tomorrow, July 14, 2015 at 11:59p EST to leave your comment on the project above. Comments posted after that will not be counted.
- Contest open to anyone 18+ in US and/or Canada.
THIS CONTEST HAS ENDED. Check out the rest of the 12 Days of Christmas in July giveaway series. There are still 11 chances to win!
Congratulations to Bobee McCaughey!
You’ve won the Rit Dye Studio Giveaway! You will receive an e-mail shortly.