It’s Day 19 of National Craft Month! This festive floor mat, designed by Heather Mann of Dollar Store Crafts, is a fun party decoration to make for special occasions. Made with supplies that can easily be found at your local dollar store, this project comes together in no time. Don’t forget to join us on Periscope for a live-streamed craft every day this month. Plus, scroll down for info on how to win our epic craft giveaways!
It’s easy to decorate for parties, home decor, and more with this quick and easy dollar store tutorial. Make a custom burlap banner for your next big event with a couple supplies from the dollar store and Design Master’s TintIT transparent spray dye.
I found my alphabet wall stickers at Dollar Tree, and my burlap banner in the dollar spot at Target.
Supplies needed for the Tinted Burlap Banner:
- Burlap banner
- Alphabet wall stickers
- Design Master TintIT spray dye in Jade
- Newspaper or a drop cloth
1. Use alphabet stickers to spell out your message on the burlap banner. My youngest son’s birthday is coming up, so I spelled out “August.”
Because the burlap banner had eight panels, and there are only six letters in my son’s name, I added a heart to the first pennant, and an exclamation point to the last pennant.
2. Now it’s time to spray! Cover your spray surface (outside or in a well-ventilated garage) to avoid staining the ground with overspray. Use a generous number of newspapers, or a canvas drop cloth. Don’t skip this step or your significant other will scowl every time they pass the stained section of your sidewalk!
3. Shake the Design Master TintIT spray according to package directions.
4. Lay the banner out on your spray surface. I put mine in a circular formation to make the spraying process easier.
5. With a smooth left to right motion, begin spraying just off the banner, and bring your hand across the banners smoothly until you reach the end of the banners. Repeat this motion to cover the entire group of banners. Add a second or third coat if desired.
Note: The dye will look light, but rest assured, your surface IS getting covered.
6. Allow banners to dry for a few minutes, then gently remove the stickers from the pennants to reveal your design!
Let the dye dry completely, then hang up your new banner!
You can use Design Master TintIT on all sorts of surfaces, from wood, to fabric, to paper. It’s a transparent colored spray that will add sheer, vibrant color without hiding surface details.
For more great tutorials, check out DollarStoreCrafts.com!
Don’t forget to check out…
Plus, click the links below for FIVE giveaways from our sponsors!
- Bundle Up: 25 Winter Accessories to Keep You Warm - January 21, 2019
- 10 New Year’s Crafts to Help you Throw the BEST Party Ever - December 30, 2018
- Operation Christmas Child Craft: DIY Spinning Top - December 23, 2018