If you’re like me, you have a stash of yarn waiting for the right project. Or yarn that you’re certain you’re just never going to use. I tend to be gifted old yarn collections and sometimes the yarn is just so-so or it’s just not in a color I like. My solution? Give it to the kids!
Yarn crafts for kids can range from silly to skilled and I much prefer the latter. Not that there isn’t a place for silly yarn craft ideas, but I would rather see the yarn turn into something beautiful and artistic. So, I’ve rounded up simple yarn crafts that look great and teach kids new crafting techniques. You never know, teaching them how to finger knit could totally change their lives! Pretty soon they’ll be knitting you a scarf for your birthday and oh what a treat that would be!
First, let’s start out with weaving projects for kids. Yarn projects without knitting might sound a lot less scary to a child, so sometimes this is the best place to start. There are so many different ways to weave too! Finger weaving, weaving with a cardboard loom, and even a hula hoop.
1. Start out by weaving a rug using a hula hoop! My little sister tried this and it’s super fun.
2. Take a cue from nature and try weaving with branches for a loom.
3. Or this version, which is just as awesome.
4. This tutorial teaches us how cardboard loom weaving.
5. I never thought to do this, but it’s so genius! Use CDs as a “loom” to create this project.
6. Another way to weave in a circle is to use a paper plate. These DIY coasters are adorable!
7. I once made a belt when I was a kid using this technique! Weaving with straws can be so much fun.
8. Make a cute desk organizer our of some scrap yarn and a plastic cup – totally thrifty!
9. Make your own knitting loom with this tutorial and find out what you can make!
10. When I was a kid, I had those beaded door drapes. These look much more classy and only require knitting with your fingers!
11. Learn how to finger knit for kids with this neon necklace!
Knitting vs. Weaving…which is better?
- Bundle Up: 25 Winter Accessories to Keep You Warm - January 21, 2019
- 10 New Year’s Crafts to Help you Throw the BEST Party Ever - December 30, 2018
- Operation Christmas Child Craft: DIY Spinning Top - December 23, 2018